I suggest you ...

A mobile app for bus routes

It will display closest bus route, wait times, and routes. Integrate google maps and alarm when the bus you need to take is about to arrive. Similiar to San Francisco apps http://www.routesy.com/ or iBart.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John HiguchiJohn Higuchi shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Forest FrizzellForest Frizzell commented  · 

What Google transit currently provides is the routes, it doesn't provide the real time data. Every bus has GPS enabled on them. OTS tried to make a semi-real time API that shows a refreshed screen every 3 mins but the feedback from developers hasn't been positive. I'm in talks right now with Google to work with us on a real time API.

• L.P. Neenz FaleafineL.P. Neenz Faleafine commented  · 

Google maps already provides bus routes and times, HEA on thebus.org provides real-time arrivals by bus stop. What I'd like to see with this is alternatives. Google maps doesn't give the most direct route either by bus or driving. Also, another bus could get you to your destination, but Google won't tell you which ones. Steve's suggestion of being able to see where the bus is in its route is a great one. Sort of link Glympse for buses.

• John HiguchiJohn Higuchi commented  · 

For those that catch the bus regularly, the question in all bus riders mine is "where is my bus?" It would be a great service to provide that information to allow bus riders to plan their day better and to relive stress (did I just miss my bus and *when* is the next one?) . Trust me, if you miss your bus you know the feeling I am talking about.

Is there more information (or real-time data) available than what google has? Can it be display more intuitively and graphically on a map?

• Steven TakataSteven Takata commented  · 

Looks correct. Why would routesy.com exist then? Significant difference?
        I think being able to see all the buses on a certain route would be good if that information exists and is public. I could see on a map that my approaching bus is still on the freeway, for example.

• Peter KayPeter Kay commented  · 

Don't we already have this with Google transit?

Feedback and Knowledge Base